Leading Singaporean landscape architects declare climate and biodiversity emergency
While the world is currently struggling with the current COVID Pandemic, the Climate & Biodiversity Emergency remains a critical global issue. There may be hope for an effective vaccine or treatment for the virus in the near future, but without collective global action, there are no similar prospects for solving the climate and biodiversity emergency.
Even if Singapore aspires to become a City in Nature, it is definitely not immune to the impact of the Climate Change and Biodiversity loss. Singapore Landscape Architects Declare is therefore asking for a collective action to confront the twin crisis as ‘the most serious issue of our time’.
Members of the SG Landscape Architects Declare have pledged to design landscapes with a more positive impact on the environment, which should then be part of a larger self-sustaining system.
In a joint statement, the group commented:
‘Whilst we have always regarded ourselves as stewards of the environment there is much more we can do. We, as landscape architects, are very well positioned to lead the change in meeting societies’ needs without breaching the earth’s ecological capacities and environmental limits.’
The idea is that a wider-ranging declaration of intent, followed by action, cooperation and knowledge sharing will help facilitate this transformation.
The founding signatories of Singapore Landscape Architects Declare include D'Land, DP Green, Grant Associates, ICN Design International, Ramboll Studio Dreiseitl and Stephen Caffyn Landscape Design.
Action points proposed by Singapore Landscape Architects Declare include:
- Raise awareness of the climate and biodiversity emergencies and the urgent need for practical action amongst clients co-consultants and supply chains.
- Preserve and protect existing irreplaceable landscapes and habitats whilst protecting and optimising areas of functional and bio-diverse landscape in all developments.
- Adopt a whole systems approach to landscape design recognising that soils, bacteria and mycorrhizal fungi are key factors for ecosystem survival and carbon sequestration.
- Promote low embodied carbon, and look to maximise carbon sequestering, responsible and sustainable use of water and biodiversity net gains in all projects.
- Establish climate and biodiversity mitigation, adaptation and resilience principles as the key measure of the industry’s success: demonstrated through awards, prizes and listings.
All landscape architects based in Singapore are being invited to join the movement by signing up at https://sg.landscapearchitectsdeclare.com/
CONSTRUCTION DECLARES is a global petition uniting all strands of construction and the built environment. It is both a public declaration of our planet’s environmental crises and a commitment to take positive action in response to climate breakdown and biodiversity collapse.
Singapore is the second country, after the UK, where Landscape Architects have teamed up for a joint declaration. Architects, Environmental Consultants and Structural Engineers have already set up their own Declarations in Singapore.
For further information please contact:
Download PDFDownload PDF
About Grant Associates
Grant Associates is a pioneering international landscape architecture practice. Our work reconnects people with nature in insightful, delightful and distinctive ways whilst addressing the global challenges of urbanisation, the climate crisis and biodiversity extinction.
Our design process is underpinned by a knowledge of human behaviour, nature and ecological science combined with innovative design technology. We bring original thinking, creative collaboration and are exploring what regenerative design and the circular economy means to landscape architecture.
Our varied portfolio includes ambitious large-scale, landmark projects through to small, local ventures.